Elections and the constitutional guardrails within which state, local, and federal government must operate are at the heart of our democracy. Stafford Rosenbaum’s Election and Political Law team has a deep understanding of both how government operates and the laws that apply to the elections by which we choose who will lead our public entities.
Our attorneys have a breadth of experience with these laws. We help candidates, municipalities, and the public navigate the thicket of laws governing elections. We advise elected officials, appointees, and others on how to comply with constitutional and statutory restrictions on government actions. And we represent individuals, organizations, and businesses that want to challenge government actions.
Here are several examples:
- Governor Tony Evers retained us as special counsel to help guide him through election law issues during the COVID-19 emergency.
- Governor Scott Walker hired us to represent the Government Accountability Board and its senior leaders in litigation arising from the John Doe investigation.
- We represented a candidate for Milwaukee County Executive when his nomination papers—and his spot on the ballot—were called into question.
- We represent several individual voters, Disability Rights Wisconsin, and Black Leaders Organizing for Communities in a federal lawsuit seeking greater protections for the August and November 2020 elections in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Our team advanced the views of the Wisconsin Public Health Association, the Wisconsin Nurses Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics Wisconsin Chapter, other organizations, and dozens of healthcare professionals in support of the Safer at Home order issued in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- We advise the Wisconsin Association of Local Health Departments on options available to county and municipal governments in response to COVID-19 after the Safer at Home order was struck down.
- We represent the Service Employees International Union Wisconsin Council and others in opposing a lawsuit seeking to compel the Wisconsin Elections Commission to remove hundreds of thousands of registered voters from Wisconsin’s voting rolls.
- Our legal team brought suit on behalf of the League of Women Voters of Wisconsin, Disability Rights Wisconsin, Black Leaders Organizing for Communities, and others to challenge the constitutionality of the Legislature’s December 2018 Extraordinary Session.
- We argued in the Wisconsin Supreme Court on behalf of Madison Teachers, Inc. and several individual members opposing a challenge to the authority of the Superintendent of Public Instruction.
- We represented in the U.S. Supreme Court the views of the Wisconsin Counties Association, the League of Wisconsin Municipalities, and the Wisconsin Towns Association on litigation about government takings of private property.
- We regularly represent individuals who challenge government actions that take or diminish the value of their private property.
- We frequently assist businesses in bringing administrative, and if necessary litigation, challenges to the legality of contracting decisions made by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.
Stafford Rosenbaum has represented more than 100 local governments and special-purpose governmental districts as special counsel and/or general counsel. From providing advice on compliance to strategizing precedent-setting litigation, individuals, government officials, corporations, non-profit organizations, and municipalities trust Stafford Rosenbaum’s election and political law team to clarify, navigate, vindicate, and, where necessary, change applicable law.
Our pragmatic, non-partisan, results-oriented approach has earned the confidence of our clients and the public alike.