On the Job
Johanna J. Allex is a partner in the Madison office of Stafford Rosenbaum LLP where she helps families and individuals to plan for and manage life’s expected and unexpected transitions. Johanna’s law practice covers all aspects of estate planning and estate administration, marital property law, business succession planning, and tax-exempt organization planning and operations. Johanna is a Certified Public Accountant and serves on the firm’s board of directors.
Johanna’s practice also includes working as an impartial mediator to help families and individuals resolve disputes involving probate, trust administration and adult guardianships. Johanna’s goal is to try to help people to identify priorities, resolve conflicts and make decisions together about how to move forward without the need to resort to litigation that can be costly to both relationships and finances.
Johanna regularly lectures on topics such as estate planning, alternative dispute resolution, and operational issues of importance to nonprofit, tax-exempt organizations. She also co-taught a practical seminar in Estate Planning and Estate Administration as an adjunct professor at the University of Wisconsin Law School.
Johanna was recently selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019 in the fields of Trusts and Estates. She was also chosen for the 2016 Women in the Law Award from The Wisconsin Law Journal.
Johanna’s Transactional Experience Includes:
- Drafting Wills, Trusts, and other estate planning documents
- Probate and trust administration
- Drafting and negotiating Marital Property Agreements
- Designing and helping to implement complex gift and estate planning techniques
- Acting as general counsel and business advisor to nonprofit organizations
- Business succession planning
- Organizing and obtaining income tax exemption recognition for local and national nonprofit organizations, such as charities, educational institutions, and trade associations
- Nonprofit governance and corporate procedures, including advising directors and officers about fiduciary duties
- Organizational changes, such as mergers, conversions, amendments to articles and bylaws, and joint ventures
- Planned giving
- Charitable registration advising
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D.)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (Masters of Music)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (B.S.)
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Wisconsin State Bar – Real Property and Probate, Taxation Sections
- Madison Estate Council
- Wisconsin Planned Giving Council
- American Bar Association – Real Property, Trust and Estate Law
- Wisconsin Association of Mediators
- Dane County Bar Association
What to Consider Legally Before Your Child Turns 18
2016 Women in the Law Award presented by The Wisconsin Law Journal