On the Job
Attorney Mason Higgins’s Practice
Mason is an associate on the Litigation Team at Stafford Rosenbaum LLP. His practice focuses on representing businesses, financial institutions, municipalities, and their insurers through civil and bankruptcy disputes. Mason is eager to assert and defend his clients’ rights, even in the courtroom.
Prior to joining Stafford, Mason was a member of the bankruptcy and creditors’ rights subgroup at an Amlaw 200 firm. There, he gained valuable experience litigating on behalf of national financial institutions and corporate clients in bankruptcy cases and adversary proceedings. During law school, Mason worked as a law clerk at a boutique bankruptcy firm, and honed his advocacy skills with two litigation-focused legal clinics: the Criminal Appeals Project and the Constitutional Litigation, Appeals, and Sentencing Project. These experiences taught him the importance of helping quickly and staying creative.
Some of Mason’s notable successes include:
- Securing relief from the automatic stay on behalf of a national lease equipment financer in numerous bankruptcy cases from Delaware to California and leveraging that relief to consistently win favorable settlements;
- Representing a corporate client who came in the door facing default judgment in the Southern District of Florida through a successful motion to vacate its default and to a favorable settlement that saw the client pay only pennies on the dollar compared to the plaintiff’s original demand; and,
- Discovering arrearages in the six-figures amongst a utility client’s books while reviewing those records in connection with a different matter and pursuing those amounts against out-of-state entities until paid in full.
Mason serves as a First Lieutenant (Infantry) in the Wisconsin Army National Guard. He is also a member of the Legal Studies faculty at Madison College, where he teaches legal research and civil litigation to post-baccalaureate and paralegal students. Mason brings his military attention to detail, his passion for service, and the sum of his experiences to Stafford’s Litigation Team.
Mason’s Court Admissions
- State of Wisconsin
- United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Wisconsin
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D.)
- President, Mock Trial Program
- Southern Illinois University (B.A.,Criminology and Criminal Justice, Spanish, and Music, magna cum laude)
Mason’s Honors and Recognitions
- Habush Habush & Rottier Outstanding Trial Advocacy Award, 2022
- Ray and Ethel Brown Award for Character, Leadership, and Service, 2021
- Susan Steingass Second-year Outstanding Trial Advocacy Award, 2021
Mason’s Community Involvement
- University of Wisconsin Black Law Students Association, 2L Team Coach
- Madison College Mock Trial Club, Advisor
- Wisconsin Association of African-American Lawyers
- Madison College Legal Studies/Paralegal Program, Advisory Board Member