For more than half a century, Stafford Rosenbaum’s Insurance Law attorneys have provided insurance defense and coverage advice, including pre-litigation coverage analysis, to insurance companies and their insureds. Whatever our role, our experience allows us to make realistic assessments of likely outcomes and, if litigation is necessary, to provide well-prepared, focused, and zealous representation.
Over the years, we have had the opportunity to represent both insureds and insurers in insurance coverage matters. This gives us a unique ability to see both sides of key issues, which, in turn, enhances our ability to deliver solutions. Our coverage work has included claims dealing with:
- Advertising injury and copyright infringement
- Automobile liability and life insurance policy disputes
- Bad faith
- Disability income policies
- Environmental cleanups
- ERISA/health benefit plans
- Product liability
- Sexual abuse
- Scope of Commercial General Liability (CGL) coverage in a variety of unique circumstances
- Professional malpractice insurance policy disputes
- Multi-million dollar condominium construction projects
Our Insurance Law attorneys have extensive experience in a broad range of substantive law, including defamation, product liability, personal injury, employment, environmental, contracts, municipal, and constitutional law. Leaders in the insurance industry often turn to us for handling the interests of their insureds’ in litigation. Select clients with whom we’ve worked in the past:
- CUNA Mutual Group
- The Equitable Life Assurance Society of the United States
- Metropolitan Life Insurance Company
- New York Life Insurance Company
- Travelers Insurance Company
- Northland Insurance Companies
We also serve as general counsel to WPPI Group Health Trust and WCA Group Health Trust.
Our experience has helped us produce positive outcomes for a wide variety of clients, including:
- Successfully defending a major insurer against multiple claims under ERISA in federal district court and the Seventh Circuit
- Regularly representing parties in insurance coverage matters arising from environmental clean-ups
- Successfully defending, in federal court, a sexual harassment and sex discrimination claim against employer
- Obtaining summary judgment in federal court on an insurer’s duty to defend an architect against a copyright infringement claim
- Defeating a constitutional challenge to a municipality’s sexually-oriented business ordinance
- Negotiating a favorable settlement for an employer charged with disability discrimination
- Successfully resolving multi-million dollar fraud claim arising from joint venture between an insurance company and a joint venture partner
- Obtaining dismissal without trial of multiple personal injury claims against a magazine clearinghouse company
- Successfully resolving multiple claims under fidelity bonds arising from alleged misappropriation of mortgage payments.
We are the only Wisconsin firm listed in The Select List of Law Firms, an organization that evaluates law firms for the life, health and disability insurance industry.