On the Job
Attorney Rick Manthe’s Practice
Attorney Rick Manthe is a partner in the Madison office at Stafford Rosenbaum. His practice focuses on local government and environmental and land use issues. He represents local governments across Wisconsin, assisting them in all facets of their operations, such as drafting ordinances and resolutions, assisting with record requests and open meetings laws, and providing strategic guidance in their day-to-day operations. Municipalities regularly rely on Rick’s expertise to negotiate complex development agreements, which include numerous multimillion-dollar projects. Rick also specializes in advising municipalities on liquor licensing issues, regularly assisting municipalities in reviewing liquor license and operator license applications and in resolving challenges with licensed establishments, including license revocation proceedings. Rick regularly presents at local government conferences on various issues related to municipal law. Rick also worked as Legal Counsel for the Wisconsin Towns Association where he provided legal assistance to the nearly 1,250 towns in Wisconsin.
Rick’s in-depth knowledge of zoning and land-use law and regulations is a vital asset to his clients. He has represented governments in reviewing and issuing complicated conditional use permits, and assisted clients in obtaining important zoning permits to allow their projects to move forward.
Additionally, Rick has done extensive election law work. He advises municipalities on election administration, such as challenges to electors, processing ballots, and record requests. He has also successfully defended clients against post-election challenges, most significantly following the November 2020 election. His work also includes litigating voting rights issues, and in 2022 he represented non-partisan groups before the Wisconsin Supreme Court in redistricting litigation.
Rick’s Court Admissions
- State of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 2014, cum laude)
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (B.A., 2012)
Rick’s Professional Memberships
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Administrative and Local Government Law Section, Board of Directors
- American Constitution Society
- Madison Lawyers Chapter, Board of Directors
Rick’s Presentations and Publications
- Presenter on land use, zoning, and variances; Wisconsin Land Use Law for Building Professionals; July 2023
- Speaker, University of Wisconsin – Green Bay Clerks and Treasurers Institute, 2022
- “Resurgence of the Reasonable Use Rule,” State Bar of Wisconsin, Environmental Law Section Blog, February 2021