On the Job
Attorney David P. Hollander is a senior associate in Stafford Rosenbaum’s Madison office. He is a skilled trial and appellate litigator, having represented clients in a wide variety of complex disputes across a dozen states. David has appeared in court over 200 times, including several trials and an appellate argument. He also has experience conducting internal investigations and responding to investigations by state and federal agencies. David has been recognized by two leading attorney peer-review publications, having been named a “Wisconsin Rising Star” by Super Lawyers Magazine and a “One to Watch” by Best Lawyers.
David’s commercial practice focuses on business disputes, insurance coverage, real estate/construction, and intellectual property litigation. He has represented local government entities in a variety of litigation matters, including Section 1983 constitutional claims, open records/meetings disputes, negligence claims, and trade secret claims. David is also part of the firm’s Election and Political Law Group, where he represents parties in litigation aimed at protecting democratic principles in Wisconsin.
David also frequently publishes content on legal issues that he finds interesting or important. In addition to Stafford Rosenbaum’s legal blog, David’s writing has appeared in Wisconsin Lawyer magazine, Law360.com, and the State Bar of Wisconsin’s Books Unbound publication.
David’s notable successes include:
- Served as second chair attorney in a successful four-day product liability bench trial on behalf of a U.S. military housing contractor.
- Successfully dismissed counterclaims in a trademark infringement suit, where the defendant alleged the infringed-upon trademarks were invalid and secured through fraud on the USPTO.
- Drafted a successful motion to dismiss in a real estate and environmental dispute on behalf of one of the largest food and beverage companies in the world.
- Conducted over 15 employee-witness interviews on behalf of a higher education institution, as part of a successful response to a False Claims Act case and an inquiry by the institution’s accrediting body.
- Contributed to litigation team that enjoined certain Wisconsin election regulations as unconstitutional in light of coronavirus, which resulted in approximately 80,000 ballots counting when they otherwise would have been disqualified.
- Argued successfully against Wisconsin Elections Commission’s challenge to Wisconsin Assembly candidate’s nomination paperwork; convinced six Commissioners to unanimously reject the opinion of their staff attorneys, who recommended excluding the candidate from the ballot.
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 2017)
- University of Missouri – Columbia (B.A., 2013)
- Illinois (2017)
- Wisconsin (2017)
- District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin (2017)
- District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (2017; Trial Bar – 2021)
- District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin (2022)
- Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (2020)
Awards and Achievements
- Best Lawyers – Ones to Watch® (Insurance Law – 2023)
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers – Rising Star® (Business Litigation – 2021; School and Education Law – 2020)
- Pro Bono Society Inductee – State Bar of Wisconsin (2019, 2020); University of Wisconsin Law School (2017)
- University of Wisconsin Law School Habush, Habush & Rottier Outstanding Trial Advocacy Award (2017)
- Bruce F. Beilfuss Memorial Award for Service to the University of Wisconsin Law School (2017)
- University of Wisconsin Law School Dean’s List (Spring 2015)
- American Bar Association’s Janet D. Steiger Fellowship (2015)
Memberships and Community Involvement
- Tenant Resource Center, Board of Directors
- Diversity Scholarship Foundation, Mentor to First Year Law Students
- American Constitution Society—Madison Chapter, Vice President of Communications
- Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Election Protection Hotline, Site Captain
- Mizzou Alumni Association, Former Chicago Chapter Vice President
- Legal Assistance for Disaster Relief, Former Vice President