On the Job
Matt’s practice focuses primarily on government and administrative law. He serves as general counsel for a number of local governments, and regularly assists cities, villages, towns and counties with a wide range of legal matters. He also represents private parties in land use, development, and other matters. His experience includes:
- Assisting with the successful completion of complex urban redevelopment projects involving property acquisition, tax incremental financing, zoning, and construction phases
- Developingsophisticated stormwater management regulations and means of financing stormwater management infrastructure
- Representing Dane County municipalities in matters involving the Capital Area Regional Planning Commission
- Routinely advising local governments on land use and development matters as well asthe organization, powers and duties of local governments
- Representingmunicipal and county governments in trial and appellate litigation.
- Assisting with annexation and boundary issues
- Advising on local regulation of land use and development
- Assisting with property acquisition and eminent domain
Matt is admitted to practice in Wisconsin. Clickherefor Matt’s lawyer rating. Matt was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019in the fields of Land Use and Zoning Law and Municipal Law.
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1992; cum laude)
- University of Wisconsin – Madison (B.A., 1987)
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Named Best Lawyers 2013 Madison Municipal Law “Lawyer of the Year.”
- Selected by peers for inclusion inThe Best Lawyers in America (since 2007).
Teaching Experience and Writing
- Matt frequently presents at municipal law seminars for municipal attorneys and local government officials and has authored articles on municipal law issues.
Professional Memberships and Activities
- AmericanBar Association, member
- WisconsinBar Association, member
- Dane County Bar Association, member
- Dane County Bar Association, Former Director
- Legal Action of Wisconsin,Former Director