On the Job
Attorney Iana A. Vladimirova is a partner in Stafford Rosenbaum’s Madison office with a practice focused on business law. A licensed certified public accountant and former auditor for a Big Four accounting firm, Iana offers clients a well-rounded understanding of transactional, bankruptcy, and commercial litigation matters.
Iana represents borrowers and financial institutions on commercial finance matters, including mergers and acquisitions (M&A), mortgage lending, workouts, and other commercial loans. She also advises debtors and creditors in all types of insolvency matters, including chapter 7, 11, 12, and 13 proceedings, foreclosure actions, and state court receiverships. In addition, Iana serves as a Chapter 11 Subchapter V trustee for the Eastern and Western District of Wisconsin and the Northern District of Illinois bankruptcy courts. Iana litigates commercial matters involving tax issues, fraud, embezzlement, Ponzi schemes, and theft-by-contractor. She is the proactive expert that clients want on their side when they need to navigate and choose from a multitude of routes that their businesses and financial interests could take.
Iana’s practice involves a variety of experience, including:
- Representing borrowers and financial institutions in mergers and acquisitions as well as commercial lending transactions.
- Representing a large medical manufacturer debtor in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding.
- Successfully litigating cases involving employees’ fraud and embezzlement of corporate funds.
- Representing equipment finance clients in bankruptcy and state court with recovery of equipment and judgments in multiple jurisdictions.
- Representing multiple condominium associations in bankruptcy proceedings, including stay litigation and lien avoidance issues.
Iana volunteers her time with pro bono cases often and is particularly drawn to cases in underdeveloped areas of the law. She has represented a prison inmate seeking gender-affirming surgery in a case before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. The constitutional issue was recognized as an Eighth Amendment right in the Ninth Circuit in June 2018, and Iana worked to obtain a similar result for her client in the Seventh Circuit.
Iana is fluent in English and Bulgarian.
Iana is licensed to practice in Wisconsin and New York.
- Fordham University School of Law (J.D.)
- University of Virginia (Master of Accountancy, cum laude)
- Missouri Southern State University (B.S. Accounting, magna cum laude)
Awards and Achievements
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® (Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, since 2021)
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers: Rising Star (since 2021)
- Wisconsin Access to Justice Commission
- Wisconsin Pro Bono Honor Society, 2020
Professional Memberships and Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Board of Directors, Bankruptcy, Insolvency, and Creditors’ Rights Section
- Secretary, Wisconsin Chapter of the International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC)
- Advisory Board Member, American Bankruptcy Institute, Central States
- Member, Turnaround Management Association (TMA)
Publications and Presentations
- Moderator, “The Wild, Wild West of Crypto,” Panel Discussion, American Bankruptcy Institute, June 2023.
- Media Mention, “’Mass extinction event’ feared as beleaguered retailers shut up shop across the US with 304 iconic stores set to close,” The Sun, January 12, 2023.
- Author, “Retail Apocalypse Part II?” Legal Update, January 12, 2023.
- Author, “Celsius Bankruptcy Update: Who Owns the Crypto?” Legal Update, December 21, 2022.
- Author, “Another Cryptocurrency Firm Bites the Dust,” Legal Update, November 28, 2022.
- Media Mention, “The Cool Thing about Pro Bono Work,” 2022 Wisconsin Super Lawyers magazine, November 11, 2022.
- Author, “FTX Files for Bankruptcy: Industry Contagion Possible,” Legal Update, November 11, 2022.
- Presenter, “Protect Yourself! Optimal Creditor Strategies for Small Business Bankruptcies,” Webinar, July 27, 2022.
- Presenter, “Maximize Your Recovery: Creditor Strategies for Small Business Bankruptcies,” Webinar, July 2021.
- Panelist, “While You Were Quarantining – Insights into the Economic Impact of COVID-19,” Webinar, Turnaround Management Association, Chicago/Midwest Chapter, November 5, 2020.
- Presenter, “Preparing for the Coming Wave of Small Business Bankruptcy Filings,” Webinar, September 10, 2020.
- Author, “CARES Act Expands Subchapter V Eligibility for Debtors,” Legal Update, March 31, 2020.