On the Job
Attorney Derek Punches is a senior associate at Stafford Rosenbaum with a practice that focuses on municipal law and environmental law. With his experience in the Wisconsin State Senate and the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, Derek is well-suited to meet the needs of the many municipalities and governments that the firm serves.
Prior to joining Stafford Rosenbaum, Derek worked for more than a decade in the Wisconsin State Legislature where he advised legislators and stakeholders on the analysis and development of public policy and managed the operations of the Senate Committee on Transportation and Local Government. In that capacity, Derek worked extensively with the legislative and administrative rulemaking processes, including his work researching and drafting initiatives related to local government, transportation, agriculture, and economic development.
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., cum laude)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (B.A., Political Science)
Professional Memberships and Admissions
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Environmental Law Section
Presentations and Publications
- “Implications of the EPA’s Proposed Rule Designating PFAS as Hazardous Substances,” State Bar of Wisconsin, Environmental Law Section Blog, April 2023.
- Also chosen for the State Bar of Wisconsin’s Featured Blogs of the Month, May 2023.
- “Exercise Caution when Creating Easements on Plats,” The Municipality, October 2022.