Jim Statz focuses on representing clients in real estate and closely-held business transactions.
Mr. Statz offers extensive experience handling highly complex real estate transactions. These routinely involve negotiations with municipalities, lenders, investors, and buyers—as well as zoning laws and many levels of government regulation. His detailed knowledge of real estate laws and regulations avoids unexpected complications.
Mr. Statz especially enjoys working with closely-held businesses and has advised numerous corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, and sole proprietorships. He has worked with entrepreneurs on acquisition, formation, sale, and organization of their businesses, including day-to-day operations.
Mr. Statz is the firm's Business Law Team Leader. He is admitted to practice in Wisconsin and Illinois.
- UW-Eau Claire, summa cum laude
- University of Wisconsin Law School (Phi Kappa Phi and Phi Eta Sigma honorary societies, graduating with honors)
- 2019 Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year for Real Estate
- 2019 Best Lawyers award for Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2020 for Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Real Estate Law
Professional Affiliations and Court Admissions
- Wisconsin Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- Dane County Bar Association
- Supreme Court, State of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
Jim is on the Board of Madison’s Communication Development Center, a small not-for-profit clinic specializing in communication services for children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and other communication disorders. He is also on the Board for Rainbow Hospice Foundation, which supports the Jefferson County hospice organization, Rainbow Hospice Care, Inc. and St. James School in Madison.
- Favorite pastime: Bicycling Southern Wisconsin rural roads and mountain bike trails
- Favorite getaway: SCUBA diving in the Carribean
- Would like to visit: Cuba
- Favorite author: Lee Child
- Favorite movies: Inherit the Wind, Bourne Trilogy