On the Job
Paul Kent’s practice focuses on environmental regulatory matters with a particular emphasis on water issues. He represents municipalities on wastewater, stormwater, water supply, mining, energy and other environmental issues. He also represents individuals and businesses on land use and development matters including developments in and around shorelands, wetlands, and navigable waters. He has served on over a dozen DNR advisory committees on water policy issues and has been involved in developing environmental legislation. He has argued appeals before the Wisconsin and United States Supreme Courts.
Paul is admitted to practice in Wisconsin. Click here for Paul’s lawyer rating. Paul was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019 in the fields of Environmental Law; Litigation – Environmental, Litigation – Land Use and Zoning, Native American Law, and Water Law.
Publications and Presentations
- Managing Stormwater and Surface Water Runoff – A Legal Perspective, Town Law Conference, 2022.
- Co-author of several books and articles on environmental law, including Wisconsin Water Law in the 21st Century.
- “On the Waterfront: New Shoreland Zoning Laws,” 90 Wisconsin Lawyer 14, January 2017.
- Adjunct professor of environmental law course at University of Wisconsin Law School (1989-present) and a visiting professor of environmental law at the East China University of Political Science and Law in Shanghai, China (2012).
- Frequent speaker at seminars sponsored by the State Bar of Wisconsin, University of Wisconsin Extension, League of Wisconsin Municipalities, Wisconsin Wastewater Operators Association and numerous others.
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D.)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (M.A., Public Policy and Administration)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (B.A.)
Professional Recognition and Awards
The Best Lawyers in America:
- Best Lawyers® 2015 Litigation – Land Use and Zoning and Water Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Madison
- Lawyer of the Year 2013 for Water Law in Madison and Litigation – Land Use & Zoning in Madison
- Lawyer of the Year 2012 for Environmental Litigation Madison
- Lawyer of the Year 2010 for Environmental Law in Madison
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for environmental law (since 1995). Also included for Water law, Land Use and Zoning, Native American law, Municipal Law, and Litigation
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business directory (since 2011). 2018 Band 1 Ranking for Natural Resources and Environmental Law.
- Selected by peers as a Wisconsin Super Lawyers for environmental law (since 2005), Top 50 Wisconsin Super Lawyer (2010-2011), and Top 25 Madison Super Lawyer (2011-2012).
- Selected as a top lawyer in Environmental law, Madison Magazine (2001-2011).
- 2008 Warren Stolper Award recipient for Adjunct Faculty of the Year
- 2014 Charles Dunn Author Award for Wisconsin Lawyer article
- Wisconsin Law Journal, 2016 Leaders in the Law, Recipient
Professional Memberships and Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Member
- Dane County Bar Association, Member
- Past President (1998-1999)
- American College of Environmental Law; Fellow (2019-Present)