On the Job
Attorney Kurt M. Simatic is a partner in Stafford Rosenbaum’s Madison office, focusing on litigation, appellate law, and government law.
Kurt has broad-based litigation experience in state and federal courts, including business torts, real estate, and the Wisconsin Fair Dealership Law, among other commercial matters. He has extensive experience first- and second-chairing trials, in both state and federal courts, including pre- and post-trial practice and appeals.
Kurt has successfully defended municipalities, school districts, and their employees in disputes involving the Wisconsin Public Records Law and zoning and land use disputes. Kurt also has extensive experience defending law enforcement and corrections officers in Wisconsin against claims of First Amendment violations, unreasonable searches and seizures, excessive force, cruel and unusual punishment, inadequate medical care, conditions of confinement, and denial of due process.
Prior to entering private practice, Kurt clerked for Justice David T. Prosser, Jr. of the Wisconsin Supreme Court. He also obtained a unique insight into litigation and municipal matters from his experience as a legislative aide for the Wisconsin State Assembly for eight years before law school.
Marquette University Law School, J.D. 2012, cum laude
University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A. 2001, with honors
Professional Memberships and Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin
- Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Eastern and Western District of Wisconsin Bar Associations
- Dane County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (Governmental Liability Committee, Chair, Publications Subcommittee)
Publications and Presentations
- Co-Author, 2019 and 2020 supplement, Wisconsin Civil Procedure Before Trial (6th ed. 2018).
- Co-Author, City of Canton’s Single-Incident Theory of Municipal Liability, For The Defense (June 2018)
- Defenses to § 1983 Claims, A § 1983 Primer, DRI Governmental Liability Committee (Jan. 2018).
- Presenter, “Liability for Deaths in Jails,” 25th Annual Corporation Counsel/Defense Counsel Forum, Wisconsin County Mutual Insurance Corporation, Wisconsin Rapids, September 22, 2017.
- Co-Presenter, “Procedural, Strategic, and Practical Considerations In Inheritance Litigation,” CLE Seminar, Legal Issues of Aging, Wisconsin State Bar, September 2016.
- Kingsley v. Hendrickson: Pretrial Detainee Excessive Force Claims Are Governed By Reasonable Objectivity, DRI Governmental Liability Newsletter, August 2015.
- Comment, Someone’s Afoot: A Survey of Wisconsin’s Foreign Guardianship Law, 95 Marq. L. Rev. 1083 (2012).
- A Curious Incident: Study of the Post-Revolutionary Soviet Hyper-Inflation of 1919-1923, 4 ARCHIVE: A JOURNAL OF UNDERGRADUATE HISTORY 42 (2001).
- Fascism & Nationalist China: Interpretations & Alternatives, 3 ARCHIVE: A JOURNAL OF UNDERGRADUATE HISTORY 19 (2000) (Winner, Allen Prize for best undergraduate paper).