On the Job
Kelly has extensive experience with all legal matters related to marriage and marriage-like relationships. She has handled a wide array of marriage dissolution actions including divorce, annulment, and legal separation and all related matters such as child custody or placement, child support, spousal support, and property division. Kelly drafts and defends pre-nuptial and post-nuptial marital property agreements as well as cohabitation and separation agreements. Kelly has appeared throughout Wisconsin trial courts in more than a dozen counties, in over 15 cases in front of the Court of Appeals of Wisconsin, and has argued and won in front of the Wisconsin Supreme Court. She has successfully litigated complex interstate custody, visitation, and support actions, involving clients in various states across the country and has represented international clients in Wisconsin courts.
Kelly is also dedicated to helping families avoid unique complications related to cohabitation, domestic partnerships and other marriage-like relationships. She has handled partition actions and civil unjust enrichment cases between unmarried cohabitants, represented clients with void marriages, and litigated broken engagement suits.
Kelly educates her clients about alternatives to litigation and has served often as a family law mediator. She is frequently appointed as Mediator in family court actions by Milwaukee County Family Court Commissioners and is requested as a mediator by other family law attorneys. She was appointed by a state senator to serve on a family law task force aimed at drafting legislation.
Kelly is admitted to practice in Wisconsin. Click here to see Kelly’s lawyer rating.
- Certificate in Divorce Mediation (Univeristy of Wisconsin-Madison, 2006)
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., 2000; Editor-In-Chief, Marquette Law Review)
- University of Nebraska – Lincoln (B.A., 1996)
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Appointed Supplemental Court Commissioner by Judge Rebecca Bradley of theMilwaukee County Circuit Court.
- Selected by peers as a Wisconsin Rising Star (2006, 2007, and since 2009).
- Featured as an expert on divorce in four interviewson Milwaukee CBS Channel 58’s Morning News Express (aired January 4, 2007), an interview on the segment”Facebook Cheaters” on Today’s TMJ4 (aired November 4, 2010), and an interviewon the segment”Divorce Insurance” on TMJ4 (aired February 17, 2011).
Kelly has served as an assistant adjunct professor at Marquette University Law School, where she developed and implemented curriculum for a two-credit “Client Interviewing & Counseling” workshop.