On the Job
Attorney Katherine Tompson is an associate at Stafford Rosenbaum’s Madison office with a practice focusing on family law. Dedicated to and passionate about the law, Katie believes in providing clients with as many options and as much information as possible to guide them in making decisions for their families’ futures. She also works cooperatively and respectfully with opposing parties in order to deliver the best experience possible.
Katie is familiar with a variety of aspects of family law, from simple divorce proceedings to more detailed matters involving sensitive child placement concerns and complex financial issues. She is experienced in alternative dispute resolution should the desire arise for mediation, which is effective and beneficial for many families who need help organizing their priorities.
Before starting her career as a Stafford Rosenbaum attorney, Katie was a law clerk for the firm’s family law attorneys. She also interned in several roles in Milwaukee County—for the prosecutor’s office in criminal law cases, in small claims, and for the Honorable Judge Stephanie Rothstein. She also was involved with the Milwaukee Justice Center and Madison’s Community Justice, Inc. During law school, Katie participated in alternative dispute resolution mediations competitively, was a fellow in the Public Interest Law Society, and was a member of the Pro Bono Honor Society.
Katie is admitted to practice in Wisconsin.
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., Honors, 2020)
- Alternate Dispute Resolution certificate
- Certified Guardian ad Litem
- University of Wisconsin – Madison (B.A., History and English, 2017)
Professional Memberships and Committees
- Wisconsin State Bar
- Dane County Bar Association
- Association of Women Lawyers
- Privileged: Minor’s Mental Health Records in Litigation, Wisconsin Journal of Family Law, Fall 2019
- Historic Perspective: Personal Appearance for Final Divorce Hearings, Wisconsin Journal of Family Law, July 2020