On the Job
Attorney Katherine Harrell began private practice in 2008, specializing in family law from the start. In January 2016, Katie joined Stafford Rosenbaum LLP, and in 2021, she was elected to the firm’s Board of Directors, overseeing its human resources, succession planning, and diversity and inclusion goals. Based in the Madison office, Katie’s practice concentrates on divorce litigation, cooperative divorce, legal separation, child custody and placement, paternity, child support, third party visitation, and the drafting of prenuptial or marital property agreements. Katie is trained in and practices collaborative divorce law. Collaborative law is a unique, reasonable approach to handling some family law matters based on a commitment to avoid litigation, provide open and honest communication, and engage in collaborative problem-solving. Katie is also frequently appointed to serve as a guardian ad litem in family law matters in Dane County, and she often acts as a parent coordinator in post-judgment cases.
Katie recognizes that welcoming an attorney into your family life can be a challenging and vulnerable experience. Katie’s approach is to provide thorough yet patient service to her clients. She believes the best way to help a client is to offer them an efficient way to get through a difficult part of life.
Katie seeks to find resolution where there is conflict. She tries to work cooperatively but assertively, minimizing the costs related to litigation. Katie has a patient and kind demeanor and believes that friendliness, humor, and timeliness enable her to build strong relationships with clients, opposing counsel, and decision-makers. Katie seeks to provide her clients with a clear understanding of their situation, while helping them find best possible outcomes.
As a parent to two, Katie can relate to clients who want nothing more than to prioritize what is best for their children. Katie’s personal experience with her family helps her continue to offer high quality representation to those navigating major changes to their family.
Whether you are in need of a lawyer for a legal separation, divorce, a child-related matter, or you are planning for your future, you and your family can count on Attorney Katie Harrell to provide exceptional service with understanding and patience in mind.
- Lawrence University, B.A. Geology
- University of Notre Dame, Ph.D. Geological Sciences, focusing on Aqueous Geochemistry
- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D.
Professional Recognitions and Awards
- Super Lawyer – Family Law (since 2022)
- Dane County Bar Association Pro Bono Community Partner Award (2021)
- Wisconsin Law Journal Leader in the Law (2020)
- Super Lawyers Rising Star (2016-2017)
Memberships and Involvements
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Dane County Bar Association – Director at Large, June 2019- present
- Legal Association for Women
- Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin
- Dane County Collaborative Group
- Dane County Family Law Group
- Dane County Veterans Law Center
- Dane County Foreclosure Assistance Clinic
- Dane County Family Law Clinic