On the Job
Attorney Jim Egle’s Practice
Attorney James Egle is the Managing Partner at Stafford Rosenbaum LLP, serving on the firm’s Board of Directors. He works in the firm’s Madison office and focuses his practice on complex commercial transactions, franchise and distribution law, public utility matters, and real estate.
Jim has negotiated the sale and acquisition of numerous businesses as well as joint ventures, owner buyouts, and restructurings. He advises companies on corporate governance, tax matters, investment due diligence, and regulatory matters.
Jim frequently counsels clients on the intricacies of the Wisconsin Fair Dealership Law and its application to franchise and distribution arrangements. He has represented both lenders and borrowers with respect to commercial loan transactions. His real estate experience includes wind farm projects, affordable housing, facilitating 1031 like-kind exchange transactions, tax incremental financing, and commercial lease negotiations.
Jim is admitted to practice in Wisconsin. Click here for Jim’s Martindale-Hubbell lawyer rating. Jim was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the fields of Real Estate Law and Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law.
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1992, cum laude, Order of the Coif)
- Note and Comment Editor, Wisconsin Law Review
- University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee (B.A., 1983; Honors)
Jim’s Professional Recognition and Awards
- Wisconsin Law Journal “Leader in the Law,” 2019
- Fellow of the Wisconsin Law Foundation, 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America (since 2011)
Jim’s Presentations and Publications
- “Assumption and Delegation” chapter, Contract Law in Wisconsin, 5th edition, 2018-19, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Co-author, “Sweepstakes and Contests in the Digital Age,” Franchise Law Journal, Summer 2017
- Comment, “The Constitutional Implications of School Choice,” Wisconsin Law Review, 1992 Wis. L. Rev. 459
- Co-author, “Contract Law: Duty to Reveal Changes,” Wisconsin Lawyer, October 2001
- Jim frequently speaks to attorneys and community groups on contract drafting, business organization planning, legal ethics, changes in the federal and state tax laws, and the Wisconsin Fair Dealership Law.
Jim’s Professional Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Tax and Real Property Law Section
- Forum on Franchising
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Business Law Section
- Public Utility Law Section
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Dane County Bar Association