On the Job
Jim is a partner in the Madison office of Stafford Rosenbaum LLP and serves on the firm’s board of directors as its financial partner. He focuses his practice on complex commercial transactions, franchise and distribution law, public utility matters, and real estate.
Jim has negotiated the sale and acquistion of numerous businesses as well as joint ventures, owner buyouts, and restructurings. He advises companies on corporate governance, tax matters, investment due diligence, and regulatory matters.
Jim frequently counsels clients on the intricacies of Wisconsin’s Fair Dealership Law and its application to franchise and distribution arrangements. He has represented both lenders and borrowers with respect to commercial loan transactions. His real estate experience includes wind farm projects, affordable housing, facilitating 1031 like-kind exchange transactions, tax incremental financing, and commercial lease negotiations.
Jim is admitted to practice in Wisconsin. Click here for Jim’s lawyer rating. Jim was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 in the fields of Real Estate Law and Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law.
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1992; cum laude; Order of the Coif; Note and Comment Editor, Wisconsin Law Review)
- University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee (B.A., 1983; graduated with honors)
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Named “Leader in the Law” by Wisconsin Law Journal, 2019.
- Named as a fellow of the Wisconsin Law Foundation, 2019.
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (since 2011).
- “Assumption and Delegation” chapter of “Contract Law in Wisconsin,” 5th edition, 2018-19, published by the State Bar of Wisconsin.
- Co-author, “Sweepstakes and Contests in the Digital Age,” Franchise Law Journal, summer 2017.
- Comment, “The Constitutional Implications of School Choice,” Wisconsin Law Review, 1992 Wis. L. Rev. 459.
- Co-author, “Contract Law: Duty to Reveal Changes,” The Wisconsin Lawyer, October 2001.
- Jim has spoken to attorneys and community groups on contract drafting, business organization planning, legal ethics, and changes in the federal and state tax laws.
Professional Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association, Member of Business, Tax and Real Property Sections and Forum on Franchising.
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Member of Business, Public Utility and Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Sections
- Dane County Bar Association