On the Job
Barb practices in the areas of business litigation and professional ethics. She has over 30 years of experience handling a wide variety of complex litigation matters, such as contract disputes, cases involving claims of minority oppression, trade secret disputes, employment disputes, and cases involving claims of professional malpractice and misconduct. Examples include litigation involving:
- a claim against an individual accused by a third-party software vendor of misappropriating its trade secrets;
- a claim against a county involving title to a snowmobile trail located on a former railroad right of way in northern Wisconsin;
- a claim for dissolution asserted against an auto dealership by a 50% shareholder; and
- a claim against a utility arising out of an injury sustained on the job by a borrowed employee.
Barb has extensive experience appearing before both state and federal trial and appellate courts. She also has successfully represented clients in matters pending before the Wisconsin Supreme Court’s Office of Lawyer Regulation and Board of Bar Examiners.
Barb is admitted to practice in Wisconsin. Click here for Barb’s lawyer rating. Barbara was recently selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019in the fields of Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, and Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law.
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1980;magna cum laude; Order of the Coif; Recipient of Daniel Grady Prize, as student with the highest standing in her class; Research and Writing Editor, Wisconsin Law Review)
- University of Wisconsin (B.A., 1977; graduated with distinction; Phi Beta Kappa)
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (since 2007).
- Selected by peers as a Wisconsin Super Lawyer for her business litigation work (since 2006).
- Note, “The Scope of Immunity Available to Federal Executive Officials,” 1979 Wisconsin Law Review 604
- Author, “Tortious Interference with Contractual Relations,” in The Law of Damages in Wisconsin(1988 and 2009), published by the State Bar of Wisconsin
- Co-editor, Litigation Forms Manual, published by the State Bar of Wisconsin (1995 and 2007)
- Lecturer, “A Conversation About the Rules of Professional Conduct: Frequent Issues Facing Wisconsin Lawyers Under the Revised Rules of Professional Conduct,” State Bar of Wisconsin (2008)
- Adjunct Professor-University of Wisconsin Law School, “Professional Responsibility” (Fall, 2000; Fall, 2002)
- Lecturer, “Legal Ethics 2002-The Most Recent and Significant Ethical Issues for the Wisconsin Practitioner,” State Bar of Wisconsin (2002)
- Lecturer, “Legal Ethics 2001-Surveying the Cutting Edge Issues,” State Bar of Wisconsin (2001)
- Lecturer, “Legal Ethics 2000,” State Bar of Wisconsin (2000)
- Lecturer, “Resolving Ethical Issues in Everyday Practice,” State Bar of Wisconsin (1997 and 1998)
Professional Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association (Litigation, Dispute Resolution and Center for Professional Responsibility Sections)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Litigation Section)
- Dane County Bar Association
- James E. Doyle American Inn of Courts, Member (2009 – )
- State Bar of Wisconsin Professional Ethics Committee, Member (2003-2009)
- Supreme Court of Wisconsin Ethics 2000 Committee, Member (2003-2007)
- State Bar of Wisconsin Lawyer Regulation Study Committee, Member (2000-2002) and Vice-Chairperson (2002)
- State Bar of Wisconsin Board of Attorneys Professional Responsibility Study Committee, Member (1986-1994) and Chairperson (1994-2000)
- Board of Attorneys Professional Responsibility Committee-District 9, Member (1993-1998) and Chairperson (1999-2001)
- Board of Attorneys Professional Responsibility Structure Review Committee, Member (1999-2000)
- Supreme Court of Wisconsin Appointment Selection Committee, Member (2000-2002)