On the Job
Attorney Tony Menting’s Practice
Attorney Tony Menting is a partner in Stafford Rosenbaum’s Madison office. Tony is a problem-solver. Born into a family of nine, Tony began finding creative solutions to conflict at an early age, which has only matured with him through his education and career. With an honor’s degree in mathematics, Tony is able to complete complex analyses regarding the multitude of issues present in divorce actions.
Tony routinely offers clients unique and thoughtful solutions to their unique concerns, tailored to the needs of their children or families. Tony’s practice focuses on divorce, mediation, and estate planning. He is extensively familiar with business valuations, property division, child support, maintenance, child custody, and child placement. He also has experience with wills, revocable trusts, and powers of attorneys, as well as gift and marital property planning. Lastly, Attorney Menting has experience with litigation in all areas of family, trust, and probate disputes. Within this practice, Attorney Menting highlights the importance of children’s needs, practical solutions, and quality client experiences.
Tony offers his clients a thorough review of the law and the potential solutions to the problems they are facing. He is direct and honest yet respectful with his clients. He recognizes that family matters are personal and emotions can complicate issues at hand. Tony addresses client concerns with understanding while providing competent representation leading them to the best possible outcome.
Divorces are complex legal matters. Tony has expertise in managing the even more complex tax and financial issues that arise during a divorce, including issues regarding valuations, the needs of business owners or their spouses who are divorcing, and structuring outcomes that minimize adverse tax or lending consequences. In fact, Tony has spoken to numerous organizations in Wisconsin and throughout the country on various issues related to finances during and after a divorce, including the State Bar of Wisconsin, the American Bar Association, and the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML).
Clients can expect a strong advocate when they hire Attorney Menting. He is approachable, interactive, and patient, while working adamantly in his clients’ best interest, whether it relates to finances, children, or a variety of business or other issues. In a mediator’s role, Tony seeks to uphold civility and ensure an equitable outcome for the parties.
A father and a husband, Tony understands how family life functions on a day-to-day basis and seeks to assist his clients in finding the ideal solution for their families. This, paired with his award-winning legal experience, is why Tony is a respected leader in the family law practice throughout Wisconsin. Tony was selected by his peers as the 2020 Lawyer of the Year in Family Law and has received other recognition. For more information about Attorney Menting, view his profiles on Avvo, Best Lawyers, Super Lawyers, AAML, and Lawyers.com.
Tony’s Court Admissions
- State of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- Marquette University Law School (J.D.)
- University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point (B.S.)
Tony’s Professional Recognition and Awards
- Recognized by Super Lawyers (since 2007)
- Top 50 Wisconsin Lawyers (since 2022)
- Top 25 Madison Lawyers (since 2021)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers (since 2012)
- Best Lawyers 2020 Lawyer of the Year in the area of Family Law
Tony’s Professional Memberships
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Past President
- State Bar of Wisconsin Family Law Section, Past Chair
- American Bar Association
- Dane, Waukesha, and Jefferson Counties Bar Association
Presentations and Publications
- “Untying the Knot: MPAs for Estate Planning, Business, Family, and Bankruptcy,” State Bar of Wisconsin, 2023
- “Malpractice Issues,” AAML Spring Seminar, 2019
- “Court Commissioner Panel,” AAML Fall Seminar, 2018
- “Depreciation Overview,” Divorce Cooperation Institute, 2018
- “Show Me the Money (Ethics Component),” State Bar of Wisconsin, 2017
- “Mediation Panel,” Divorce Cooperation Institute, 2015
- “I Stayed Home, Now Pay Up!” American Bar Association Spring Seminar, 2015
- “Alternate Business Valuation,” State Bar of Wisconsin, 2014
- “Child Support, Maintenance, and Property Division Series,” State Bar of Wisconsin, 2014
- “Putting on Great Workshops for Bar Associations,” American Bar Association Spring Leadership Workshop, 2014
- “Daubert and Related Evidentiary Matters,” State Bar of Wisconsin, 2013
- “If You Love Me, Put it in Writing,” American Bar Association Spring Seminar, 2012
- “Stock Options and Non-Qualified Benefits Hot Tip,” AAML Annual Seminar, 2012
- “Public Pension Valuations,” Annual Family Law Workshop, 2011
- “Revisions to Health Insurance Requirements and Child Support Guideline,” AAML Annual Seminar, 2010
- “Evidence Review (Medical and Business Records),” Leander J. Foley Matrimonial Inns of Court, 2009
- “Bankruptcy Hot Tip,” AAML Annual Seminar, 2009
- “Ethics Update,” Waukesha County Bar Association, 2008
- “Ethics,” State Bar Guardian ad Litem Training, 2008
- “Legislative Update,” Annual Family Law Workshop, 2008
- “Business Valuation in Family Law,” Annual Family Law Workshop, 2007
- “Pension/Retirement Valuations: Why Are They Different?” Annual Family Law Workshop, 2005