Vanessa is an associate in the firm’s Madison office where her practice focuses on environmental law issues. Prior to joining Stafford, Vanessa served as a law clerk at the Wisconsin Court of Appeals.
While in law school, Vanessa was a member of law review, and she interned at Clean Wisconsin. She was a summer associate at Earthjustice in Denver and the Environmental Law and Policy Center in Chicago.
Vanessa possesses a keen understanding of environmental law. Her experience includes:
- Reviewing WPDES permits and filing petitions for contested case hearings challenging permit terms.
- Reviewing and revising sewer use ordinances for municipalities.
- Writing and presenting public comments on proposed administrative rules and testimony on proposed legislation.
- Drafting and answering discovery requests and preparing for and conducting depositions for litigation on a broad range of environmental issues.
- Conducting research and writing legal memoranda on a wide range of environmental issues including CAFO development, dam regulation, lake levels, public water usage, stormwater management, and water quality regulation.
Vanessa is admitted to the Wisconsin Bar.
- University of Wisconsin Law School Madison (J.D., cum laude)
- University of Wisconsin Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies (Master’s Degree in Environment and Resources)
- Bowdoin College Brunswick (B.A., Environmental Studies and French)
Publications and Honors
- Before Beginning, Plan Carefully: A Call for Public Comment on the New Forest Planning Rule, 2010 WIS. L. REV. 1537 (2010)
- Gwynette E. Smalley Award for Service to the Wisconsin Law Review Best Brief Candidate (Spring 2009)
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Environmental Law Section, Board Member and New Lawyer Director (term start date July 1, 2016)
- Dane County Bar Association, Member
- Gathering Waters Board of Directors
Vanessa is a native of Lincoln, Nebraska. She enjoys hiking and running with her dogs, gardening, traveling, exploring Wisconsin, and wandering around the Dane County Farmers Market.