Ted's practice focuses primarily on litigation. He has over 30 years of trial experience in civil litigation, including tort and insurance matters, and business disputes. He regularly appears in both state and federal courts.
Ted partners with his clients to find the most effective and efficient strategy for each case. Creative strategies have resulted in effective remedies for owners of closely held corporations, parties in class actions, public entities in complex disputes, and individuals in matters involving injury to self and property.
Ted has represented dozens of Wisconsin municipalities in hundreds of litigated matters in the past 30 years. Many of these disputes have been complex and raised novel questions of law.
Ted strongly supports alternate dispute resolution. He regularly represents clients in arbitration and mediation and is often asked to serve as a mediator.
Ted is admitted to practice in all Wisconsin state and federal courts as well as the United States Supreme Court, United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit and the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. Click here for Ted's lawyer rating. Ted was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019 in the fields of Insurance Law, Litigation – Municipal, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, and Products Liability Litigation – Defendants.
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1980; cum laude; Order of the Coif)
- Northwestern University (B.S., 1972)
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (since 2008).
- Selected by peers as a Wisconsin Super Lawyer for his civil litigation defense work (since 2006).
- Named a Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year" in the practice areas of Litigation- Municipal in 2013 and 2016 and in Insurance Law- Litigation in 2018
- Ted has authored numerous articles on subjects ranging from mediation to specialized liability issues relating to public entities.
- Ted regularly teaches trial advocacy at the University of Wisconsin Law School.
- Ted has lectured on the subjects of dealership and franchise law, insurance coverage, indemnity contracts, the trial of an injury case, and related subjects.
Professional Memberships and Activities
- American, Wisconsin and Dane County Bar Associations
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Wisconsin Defense Counsel
- Inns of Court
- Litigation Counsel of Wisconsin
Ted thinks Wisconsin is at its best with skis on his feet and his iPod in his ears on cold, calm, sunny February mornings. When Wisconsin is spring green, Ted digs holes in his yard. He likes that almost all gardening mistakes can be solved by moving over and digging somewhere else.
Ted is proud of his wife Cathy and their two grown sons.
Ted thanks his clients for all the wonderful opportunities and experiences they shared with him.