Rich focuses his practice on corporate and partnership mergers and acquisitions, corporate and partnership reorganizations, advice on tax-optimized debt and equity restructurings, financing business acquisitions, representation of banks before federal and state banking authorities, corporate governance matters, tax law, succession planning for closely-held businesses, and resolving corporate, partnership and limited liability company governance matters including minority equity-holder lawsuits.
Rich is recognized for providing value oriented solutions in complex transactions. He is known for his commitment to high level client service and his practical approach to resolving issues and reaching closing.
Rich has a wide variety of experience representing buyers and sellers in structuring and financing purchases and sales of companies and businesses in the lines of manufacturing, distribution, banking, financial services and investment management advisory services. He has represented corporations, LLCs, partnerships, and not-for-profits regarding fiduciary duty and corporate governance matters, and succession planning for family businesses.
Rich’s previous experience includes being a partner in large Midwestern-based and international law firms. Prior to law school, Rich practiced accounting with Arthur Young & Company. Rich is a certified public accountant (inactive). He is admitted to practice law in Wisconsin, California and New York.
- New York University School of Law (Masters of Laws, Taxation, 1989)
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1986)
- University of Notre Dame (BBA, Accounting, 1981, high honors)
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Listed in Best Lawyers (Corporate Governance Law, Corporate Law, 2006-2018; Financial Services Regulation Law, Corporate Compliance Law, 2013-2018; Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships) 2015-2018; Banking and Finance Law, 2018; and 2013 Lawyer of the Year-Corporate for Madison, Wisconsin area)
- Recognized as a Wisconsin Super Lawyer (2014-2016)
- Listed in Who’s Who in America (2006-2015 ed.), Who’s Who in the World (2009-2015 ed.), and Who’s Who in American Law (2009-2011 ed.)
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell
- Voted by peers in Madison Magazine as one of Madison’s best attorneys (2001, 2003, 2005 and 2007)
- Selected by InBusiness Magazine as one of Madison’s civic-minded executives in its Annual Executive Register (2006-2015)
Professional Memberships and Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- State Bar of California
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Wisconsin Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Chair of Executive Committee and Advisory Board, University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center (2007-present)
- President and Board of Directors, Friends of Carbone Cancer Center, Inc. (2011- present)
- President and Board of Directors, Dairymen’s Foundation, Inc. (philanthropic charity focused on supporting education and environmental activities in Vilas County, Wisconsin) (2009-present)
- Madison Symphony Orchestra, Advisory Board (2015-present); Member of Board of Directors (2010-2015)
- Chair, Chapter 183 Wisconsin Limited Liability Law Subcommittee of the State Bar of Wisconsin Business Law Section (2005-present)
- Co-Chair, Arts Ball-Annual Benefit for Madison Museum of Contemporary Art and Madison Symphony Orchestra (2011-2017)
- Board of Directors, $65 million community bank (2008)
- Board of Directors, Business Law Section of the State Bar of Wisconsin (2005-2011)
- Board of Directors and Secretary, Monona Terrace Community Programs, Inc. (2004-2012)
- Chairman, Wisconsin Institute of Certified Public Accountants Annual Tax Conference (2001)
- Co-Chair, Partnership Workouts Subcommittee of the American Bar Association Section of Taxation (1997-2007)
- Legal Counsel, $8 million private sector funding initiative for construction of Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center (1994-2007)
- Board of Directors and Legal Counsel, Wisconsin Manufacturing Extension Partnership (1994-2002)
Last place visited: Italy (Rome, Florence, and Sorrento)
Favorite book: Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln (Doris Kearns Goodwin)
Favorite Outdoor Activities: Fishing and upland game hunting
Community Involvement: Activities involve my (1) passion to see cancer become a managed disease in my lifetime; and (2) interest in programs that support education, science and research to conserve our natural resources.