Paul Kent's practice focuses on environmental regulatory matters with a particular emphasis on water issues. He represents municipalities on wastewater, stormwater, water supply, mining, energy and other environmental issues. He also represents individuals and businesses on land use and development matters including developments in and around shorelands, wetlands, and navigable waters. He has served on over a dozen DNR advisory committees on water policy issues and has been involved in developing environmental legislation. He has argued appeals before the Wisconsin and United States Supreme Courts.
Paul is admitted to practice in Wisconsin. Click here for Paul's lawyer rating. Paul was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015 in the fields of Environmental Law; Litigation – Environmental, Litigation – Land Use and Zoning, Native American Law, and Water Law.
- Co-author of several books and articles on environmental law, including Wisconsin Water Law in the 21st Century. http://www.wisconsinwaterlaw.com/
- Adjunct professor of environmental law course at University of Wisconsin Law School (1989-present) and a visiting professor of environmental law at the East China University of Political Science and Law in Shanghai, China (2012).
- Frequent speaker at seminars sponsored by the State Bar of Wisconsin, University of Wisconsin Extension, League of Wisconsin Municipalities, Wisconsin Wastewater Operators Association and numerous others.
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D.)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (M.A., Public Policy and Administration)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (B.A.)
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Wisconsin Law Journal, 2016 Leaders in the Law, Recipient
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2015 Litigation – Land Use and Zoning and Water Law "Lawyer of the Year” in Madison, Lawyer of the Year 2013 for Water Law in Madison and Litigation - Land Use & Zoning in Madison, Lawyer of the Year 2012 for Environmental Litigation in Madison, Wisconsin, and Lawyer of the Year 2010 for Environmental Law in Madison, Wisconsin by The Best Lawyers in America.
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for environmental law (since 1995). Also included for water law, land use and zoning, and Native American law.
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business directory (since 2011).
- Selected by peers as a Wisconsin Super Lawyer for environmental law (since 2005), Top 50 Wisconsin Super Lawyer (2010-2011), and Top 25 Madison Super Lawyer (2011-2012).
- Selected as a top lawyer in environmental law, Madison Magazine (2001-2011).
- 2008 Warren Stolper Award recipient for Adjunct Faculty of the Year
Professional Memberships and Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Member
- Dane County Bar Association, Member and Past President (1998-1999)
- DNR Green Tier Advisors, Member (2008-)
Paul came to school in Madison in 1973 and has been here since. He is married to Peggy and they have two adult sons, Christopher and Michael. Paul’s interests include backpacking, reading, swimming, folk music, travel, and family and church activities.
- Favorite foods: Micro-brews
- Favorite music: Folk, Celtic, bluegrass, blues, rock and classical
- Last places visited: China (2012); Pacific Northwest (2011); Israel (2009); France and Poland (2008)
- Favorite getaways: Memorial Union Terrace and Devil's Lake
- Favorite book: Fiction: Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy; Non-fiction: The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge, by David McCullough
- Would like to visit: Alaska, Australia, New Zealand, British Isles