Matt’s practice focuses primarily on government and administrative law. He serves as general counsel for a number of local governments, and regularly assists cities, villages, towns and counties with a wide range of legal matters. He also represents private parties in land use, development, and other matters. His experience includes:
- Assisting with the successful completion of complex urban redevelopment projects involving property acquisition, tax incremental financing, zoning, and construction phases
- Developing sophisticated stormwater management regulations and means of financing stormwater management infrastructure
- Representing Dane County municipalities in matters involving the Capital Area Regional Planning Commission
- Routinely advising local governments on land use and development matters as well as the organization, powers and duties of local governments
- Representing municipal and county governments in trial and appellate litigation.
- Assisting with annexation and boundary issues
- Advising on local regulation of land use and development
- Assisting with property acquisition and eminent domain
Matt is admitted to practice in Wisconsin. Click here for Matt’s lawyer rating. Matt was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019 in the fields of Land Use and Zoning Law and Municipal Law.
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1992; cum laude)
- University of Wisconsin – Madison (B.A., 1987)
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Named Best Lawyers 2013 Madison Municipal Law "Lawyer of the Year."
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (since 2007).
Teaching Experience and Writing
- Matt frequently presents at municipal law seminars for municipal attorneys and local government officials and has authored articles on municipal law issues.
Professional Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association, member
- Wisconsin Bar Association, member
- Dane County Bar Association, member
- Dane County Bar Association, Former Director
- Legal Action of Wisconsin, Former Director
Matt on the Upper Madawaska River in Ontario, Canada.
Matt and his wife Claire have two children, Noah and Olivia. Matt is an avid whitewater canoeist. He paddles solo and tandem open boats, and frequents some of the finest whitewater available in Wisconsin and Ontario, including the Wolf and Peshtigo river and Wauwa whitewater course in Wisconsin, and the Ottawa and Madawaska rivers in Ontario. In winter, Matt likes walks with his dog and cross county skiing.
- Favorite foods: Fresh bread and good cheese
- Favorite artist: My mom (such beautiful quilts!)
- Favorite music: Neko Case
- Favorite getaway: Wolf River in Langlade County, Wisconsin
- Favorite book: The Lord of the Rings trilogy, by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Favorite movies: Jean de Florette (1986); Shakespeare in Love; The Bourne Identity
- Would like to visit: New Zealand; Norway; Prague
- Last book read: The Orenda, by Joseph Boyden
- Former Board of Directors, Wingra School, Inc.
- Former Director, Festival Choir of Madison