Kyle is a litigator whose practice includes personal injury defense, wrongful death claims, insurance coverage disputes, and municipal prosecution. Kyle’s trial and appellate experience varies from prosecuting first-offense drunken driving cases in municipal court to briefing Superfund contribution claims to the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. Regardless of the matter, Kyle believes it is his job to earn his client’s trust, and that every client deserves an advocate who is both responsive and understanding of the demands (and costs) legal disputes create for the client.
In state court, Kyle frequently defends personal injury claims, including but not limited to municipal slip and fall cases, by handling all aspects of discovery and motion practice. Kyle’s personal injury defense experience includes defending against multi-million dollar demands for enhanced injury claims. Although his municipal prosecution practice has him regularly appearing in municipal and state court, Kyle has also appeared in federal court defending against claims brought under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) for environmental cleanup costs. Kyle’s CERCLA experience has included extensive discovery and he has worked with multiple experts in bringing and defending Daubert and evidentiary motions in limine. Kyle has also defended multiple consumer fraud cases, including professional liability claims for financial investments and governmental claims of Medicaid fraud.
Kyle’s appellate experience includes briefing multiple insurance coverage disputes for third party claims, application of Wisconsin’s governmental immunity statute, and certiorari proceedings on administrative appeal. During law school, Kyle also participated in the Wisconsin Innocence Project and briefed the Court of Appeals on Brady issues and newly discovered evidence that resulted in a published decision affirming the circuit court’s grant of a new trial nearly twenty years after the client was first imprisoned.
Finally, Kyle works on behalf of municipal and business clients on such matters as evaluating insurance issues, liability exposure, open records compliance, and development disputes over vested rights. Kyle has also worked on behalf of manufacturing and distributorship clients in bringing, defending and resolving claims under Wisconsin’s Fair Dealership Law.
Kyle is admitted to practice law in Wisconsin state courts, the Eastern and Western District Courts of Wisconsin, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 2013)
- Symposium Editor and Senior Board member for the Wisconsin International Law Journal
- Coach and participant in the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot in Vienna, Austria
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (B.A. Journalism and International Studies, 2008)
Professional Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Dane County Bar Association
- James E. Doyle American Inn of Court
Originally from New Glarus, Kyle and his wife Mary (a Madison native) met during their undergraduate studies at the University of Wisconsin. They continue to reside in Madison, now with their Australian Shepherds, Edward and Ballina. Both Kyle and Mary love traveling and seeing new places, but the couple bleeds Badger red and always look forward to football Saturdays. Kyle enjoys golfing and biking around Madison’s beautiful parks and lakes and takes his competitive spirit to the basketball court for Madison's recreational league. Unless he is out to dinner with his wife and friends, Kyle’s favorite place to be is at the Union Terrace with a local beer in hand.
- Favorite Artist: My wife singing in the car
- Favorite Food: Anything off my Dad’s grill at the family’s patio
- Favorite Beverage: Westmalle Abbey Tripel
- Favorite Restaurant: Brasserie V – best frites in town!
- Favorite TV show: Either House of Cards or Downton Abbey
- Last Places Visited: Indianapolis – National Championship (2015); Dallas – Final Four (2014); Riveria Maya (2014); Vienna, Prague & Budapest (2013); Austria (2012); Australia (2010); Belgium & Germany (2008)
- Would Like to Visit: 2016 Final Four in Houston when Badgers finally claim that national title – third time is a charm!
- Guilty Pleasure: Anything Harry Potter
- Madison Parks Foundation
- Board Member since July 2014
- Executive Committee Secretary since July 2015
- Leadership Greater Madison – Class of 2015