Kyle's passion is courtroom practice. However, a client should hear what they need to know about their legal dispute - both the good and bad - long before a judge or jury passes judgment. Kyle's job is to assess the risk created by a client's conflict and manage the legal uncertainty they face. His trial practice includes commercial litigation, tort and civil rights defense, personal injury matters and wrongful death claims, regulatory utility law and municipal prosecution. Regardless of the matter, Kyle believes it is his job to earn his client’s trust, and that every client deserves an advocate who is both responsive and understanding of the demands (and costs) legal disputes create for the client.
Trial practice requires storytelling, and Kyle enjoys all aspects of building a trial record. Kyle’s experience includes handling all aspects of trial practice – from jury trials and witness examination to motion practice, depositions, discovery and case assessment and budgeting. Kyle’s frequent briefing experience includes successfully dismissing a mass tort claim for carbon monoxide poisoning at a hockey rink and authoring an amicus brief on behalf of the League of Wisconsin Municipalities addressing Wisconsin’s governmental immunity law – a matter Kyle also argued before the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
In state court, Kyle frequently defends municipalities against claims ranging from negligence and violations of Wisconsin’s Safe Place Law to nuisance and defamation. In federal court, Kyle has appeared defending municipalities against civil rights claims alleging excessive force and fair housing violations, in addition to claims brought under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) for environmental cleanup costs. Kyle has handled numerous cases seeking emergency injunctions against municipalities, and he has had extensive trial experience prosecuting civil forfeiture cases on behalf of municipalities varying from speeding tickets to first-offense drunk driving violations.
Kyle’s commercial litigation experience includes fair dealership claims, corporate control contests, whistleblower claims involving misappropriation of trade secrets, defending class actions alleging professional liability arising from financial investments and multi-state statutory fraud claims involving administration of Wisconsin’s Medicaid program. Kyle also co-authors the Wisconsin Bar Association’s publications on Trade Secrets and Tortious Interference with Contractual Relations.
On a smaller scale, Kyle has helped personal injury claimants and insureds successfully reach settlement by convincing insurance companies to reverse their denials of coverage – even where a former attorney has withdrawn from representation due to an insurance denial. During law school, Kyle also participated in the Wisconsin Innocence Project and briefed the Court of Appeals in a published decision that affirmed the granting of a new trial to a client who had spent nearly 20 years imprisoned.
Kyle is admitted to practice law in Wisconsin, the Eastern and Western District Courts of Wisconsin, the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Selected as a Wisconsin Rising Star by Super Lawyers (2018).
- Selected as an Up and Coming Lawyer by Wisconsin Law Journal (2016).
- Co-author, Trade Secrets chapter, Wisconsin Attoney’s Desk Reference (2017-present)
- Co -author, Tortious Interference with Contractual Relations, Law of Damages (2018)
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 2013)
- Symposium Editor and Senior Board member for the Wisconsin International Law Journal
- Coach and participant in the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot in Vienna, Austria
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (B.A. Journalism and International Studies, 2008)
Professional Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow (2019)
- State Bar of Wisconsin – Appointed Bench and Bar Committee June 2018
- Dane County Bar Association – Board of Directors and Membership Co-Chair
- James E. Doyle American Inn of Court
Originally from New Glarus, Kyle and his wife Mary (a Madison native) met during their undergraduate studies at the University of Wisconsin. They continue to reside in Madison, now with their Australian Shepherds, Edward and Ballina. Both Kyle and Mary love traveling and seeing new places, but the couple bleeds Badger red and they always look forward to football Saturdays and March Madness. Kyle grew up working in the restaurant business, which is now to blame for a zeal for fine wine and dining. Accordingly, when they take a break from the “charms” of owning an older home (aka do-it yourself home improvement projects), Kyle and Mary enjoy nothing better than a well-executed dinner party with friends or family. As a park advocate, Kyle also enjoys golfing and biking around Madison’s beautiful natural spaces. Unless they are on the lake already, Kyle’s favorite place to be is at the Union Terrace with a local beer in hand.
- Favorite Artist: My wife singing in the car
- Favorite Food: Anything off my Dad’s grill at the family’s patio
- Favorite Beverage: Westmalle Abbey Tripel or Honig’s Napa Cab
- Favorite Restaurant: Brasserie V – best frites in town!
- Favorite TV show: I don’t know many times I have watched Downton Abbey or Parks and Recreation.
- Last Places Visited: This year it was Napa, Vail, and Austin but separate from following the Badgers basketball team around the country Mary and I loved a past trip to Yosemite and hope to head back soon. If you are headed to central Europe, would be happy to discuss our favorite spots (from Belgium and France to Germany, Austria, Prague and Budapest). Dad and I headed to Australia together, which was fantastic; just make sure you take enough time to justify the travel time down there!
- Would Like to Visit: Taking recommendations! Oktoberfest 2019 is on the radar.
- Guilty Pleasure: Soundtrack to The Greatest Showman, and anything Harry Potter
- Madison Parks Foundation, Board Member since July 2014, Executive Committee Secretary since July 2015
- Leadership Greater Madison – Class of 2015