Denasha A. Scott serves as counsel to individuals and families regarding appropriate estate planning arrangements to carry out their goals and objectives. Examples of Denasha’s work in this area include:
- Drafting of wills, trusts and other estate planning documents.
- Complex gift and estate tax planning techniques.
- Probate and trust administration.
- Estate and gift tax return and fiduciary income tax return preparation.
- Representation before the IRS and Wisconsin Department of Revenue.
Denasha also serves as counsel to businesses and professional practices on a wide variety of ongoing business needs. Examples of her work in this area include:
- Acting as general counsel and business advisor.
- Business succession planning.
- Business and tax planning.
- Organization and development of corporations, LLCs, and partnerships.
- Shareholder’s agreements.
- Corporate governance and compliance.
- Contract drafting and negotiations.
- Corporate restructurings, joint ventures, spin-offs, mergers, and acquisitions.
- Stock purchase and asset purchase agreements.
Denasha also serves as counsel to nonprofit organizations and foundations on all aspects of non-profit law and tax exemption. Examples of her work in this area include:
- Start-up of non-profit organizations.
- Income tax-exemption, property tax exemption, sales tax exemption.
- Continuing compliance with the complex federal and state regulations applicable to non-profit organizations and their officers and directors.
- Governance and corporate procedures.
- Organizational change, changes to articles and bylaws, non-profit mergers, spin-offs, joint ventures, strategic alliances, creation of subsidiaries, and other reorganizations.
- Fiduciary duties of officers and directors and avoiding liability risks.
- Endowments, planned giving and charitable trusts.
Denasha is admitted to practice law in Wisconsin.
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1997, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif)
- Beloit College (B.A., 1994, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa)
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Selected by peers as a Wisconsin Rising Star in estate planning (2007, 2009, 2011, 2012)
- Co-author, "Legal and Financial Aspects of Tax-Exempt Organizations," National Business Institute, November 2009
- Denasha has spoken to numerous groups on estate planning and non-profit law.
Professional Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association—Real Property, Trust & Estate; Business Law Sections
- State Bar of Wisconsin—Real Property, Probate and Trust Law; Business Law; Taxation Sections
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- Association of Women Lawyers