Chris’s practice focuses on general municipal law, real estate matters, and contract negotiation, preparation, and review. His experience includes:
General Municipal and Land Use Law
Representation of municipal clients in a wide variety of matters, including public records, open meetings, public construction, zoning, land division, moratoria, and other land use issues.
Real Estate Law
Counsel businesses, municipalities, and individuals relating to negotiation, drafting, and review of purchase and lease documents, preparation of closing documents, and the preparation of easements, including conservation easements.
Contract Negotiation, Preparation, and Review
Negotiation, preparation, and review of contracts related to construction, land development, intergovernmental agreements, and corporate and utility matters.
Counsel individuals and businesses on general business law.
Chris is admitted to practice law in Wisconsin. Click here to view Chris's lawyer rating. Chris was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017 in the fields of Land Use and Zoning Law, Municipal Law and Real Estate Law.
- Indiana University School of Law (J.D., 1993, cum laude)
- University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire (B.A., Business Administration, 1986)
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (since 2008) in the practice areas of: Land Use and Zoning Law, Minicipal Law, and Real Estate Law.
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2015 Municipal Law "Lawyer of the Year” in Madison.
- Co-author, municipal law chapter, State Bar of Wisconsin’s Annual Survey of Wisconsin Law (1997-present)
- Alternative Energy Resources: A Primer on Wind and Solar Energy Research, Wisconsin Lawyer InsideTrack, November 2015
- Co-presenter, "Where to Draw the Line? Negotiating Conservation Easements," sponsored by the Land Trust Alliance
- Co-presenter, "Determining Land Ownership and Access Rights," sponsored by HalfMoon Education Inc.
- Co-presenter, "Conserving Private Lands: An Introduction to Land Conservation Tools," sponsored by U.W. Law School and Gathering Waters Conservancy
- Co-presenter, "Law of Easements - Legal Issues and Practical Considerations in Wisconsin; and Plat and Subdivision Law in Wisconsin," sponsored by Lorman Education Services
- Presenter, "Counties and Land: Liabilities and Responsibilities," sponsored by Wisconsin Counties Association
Professional Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Board of Governors, District 9
- Dane County Bar Association
Off the job, Chris spends his time enjoying the outdoors with his family and volunteering for conservation organizations such as Gathering Waters Conservancy and the Natural Heritage Land Trust.
Chris is past president of Gathering Waters Conservancy. Gathering Waters is a statewide service center for Wisconsin’s land trust community that builds the capacity of the state’s private, non-profit conservation organizations through consulting, public education, and policy advocacy.
Chris is a former board member and current stewardship committee member of the Natural Heritage Land Trust. The Natural Heritage Land trust protects natural areas, wildlife habitat, working farms, healthy lakes and streams, and recreation land, in order to provide a high quality of life in the Dane County, Wisconsin region.
- Gathering Waters Conservancy, Inc.
- Natural Heritage Land Trust, Inc.
- Advisory Board, University of Wisconsin Law School Program in Real Estate, Land Use, and Community Development