Jim’s practice is primarily focused on contract negotiations, dealership and franchise law, business law, and estate planning and probate. Jim has represented business clients in a broad range of industries, including manufacturing, utilities, health care, construction, real estate and professional services.
His experience includes:
- Helping clients with unusual management, equity structures and contractual arrangements organize their corporations, limited liability companies and partnerships.
- Negotiating and drafting agreements for the sale and acquisition of numerous businesses, both as stock transactions and as sales of assets, as well as loans to fund those acquisitions.
- Advising on the tax implications of proposed transactions.
- Evaluating contract and termination decisions involving franchise, distribution and sales representative relationships.
- Negotiating and drafting buy-sell agreements, software licenses, equipment leases, real estate leases, employment agreements, management contracts and franchise agreements.
Jim is admitted to practice in Wisconsin. Click here for Jim's lawyer rating.
University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1992; cum laude; Order of the Coif; Note and Comment Editor, Wisconsin Law Review)
University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee (B.A., 1983; graduated with honors)
Professional Recognition and Awards
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (since 2011).
Comment, "The Constitutional Implications of School Choice," Wisconsin Law Review, 1992 Wis. L. Rev. 459.
Co-author, "Contract Law: Duty to Reveal Changes," The Wisconsin Lawyer, October 2001.
Jim has spoken to attorneys and community groups on estate planning, business organization planning, legal ethics, and changes in the federal and state tax laws.
Professional Memberships and Activities
American Bar Association, Member of Business and Real Property Sections
State Bar of Wisconsin, Member of Business and Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Sections
Dane County Bar Association
A native of Milwaukee, Jim now lives in Fitchburg with his wife, Marcia, and their two children. Prior to attending the University of Wisconsin Law School, Jim worked as a sportswriter for The Milwaukee Journal, the Green Bay Press-Gazette and USA Today. He continues to enjoy UW athletics, biking and golf in his free time.
Favorite food: Barbecued ribs
Favorite author: Ernest Hemingway
Favorite music: Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band
Favorite book: All The King's Men, by Robert Penn Warren
Favorite place to visit: Hawaii
Last place visited: Fort Myers Beach/Sanibel/Captiva, Florida
Capital Candlelighters, President (2009 – present) and Board Member (2005 – present)
Seminole Forest Neighborhood Association, Board of Directors (2003 – 2009)
The Rainbow Project, Extra Mile Award (1999)
Leadership Greater Madison, Class 9 Graduate (2001 – 2002)
Pediatric Hematology-Oncology Parents Advisory Group, American Family Children's Hospital, President (2008 – 2009)