Bryan’s practice focuses on municipal law, utility law, and labor and employment law. In his work, Bryan has appeared before Wisconsin Employment Relations Commission arbitrators and examiners and other independent arbitrators and administrative law judges in a number of labor/employment matters, including grievances, prohibited practice claims, and discrimination matters.
Bryan also routinely advises local governments on land use and development matters, including zoning, land divisions, and moratoria. Bryan’s experience includes:
- Advising municipal clients in a wide variety of matters, including land division, zoning, public construction and other land use issues.
- Drafting and reviewing ordinances, contracts, easements and other agreements for local government clients.
- Negotiating development agreements and labor contracts on behalf of municipal clients.
- Advising municipalities and school districts on issues pertaining to the Wisconsin Open Meetings and Public Records laws.
- Representing public and private employers on a number of labor and employment matters, including discrimination claims, contract interpretation, and wage and hour laws.
- Advising local governments on the organization, powers and duties of local governments.
Bryan is admitted to practice law in Wisconsin.
University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 2000; cum laude)
University of Wisconsin-Madison (B.A., 1993)
Professional Recognition and Awards
Selected by peers as a Wisconsin Rising Star for his work in government/cities/municipalities law (2006, 2008, 2009).
Co-author, municipal law chapter, State Bar of Wisconsin’s Annual Survey of Wisconsin Law (2005-present)
Bryan has made presentations at a number of municipal and labor/employment seminars, including presenting on land use issues, Wisconsin Open Meetings Law, Wisconsin Public Records Law, federal and state disability discrimination laws, and federal and state wage and hour laws.
Professional Memberships and Activities
American Bar Association
State Bar of Wisconsin
Dane County Bar Association
Bryan is a native of Madison. In his spare time, he likes to play basketball and baseball, go to UW football and basketball games, hang out at the Union Terrace, and spend time with his wife and kids.
Favorite food: A good steak
Favorite music: U2, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Black Crowes
Last place visited: Wisconsin Dells
Favorite getaway: Anywhere with my wife
Favorite book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Favorite movie: Usual Suspects
Would like to visit: Maui, Hawaii