On the Job
Janice focuses her practice on estate planning and probate, real estate and family law. Her experience includes preparation of estate plans for individuals, including wills, trusts, powers of attorney and prenuptial and postnuptial agreements; probate of estates of all sizes; estate planning for non-traditional families, using co-ownership agreements, trusts and other estate planning tools to ensure the smooth and orderly disposition of property in the event of death or the termination of the family relationship; representation of buyers and sellers, condominium associations, landlords and tenants in real estate matters; guardianship; probate litigation, including representation of estates as well as beneficiaries in will contests and other contested probate matters; family law matters, including divorce, custody disputes, legal separation and post divorce issues; and collaborative family law and cooperative family law.
Janice is admitted to practice in Wisconsin. Click here for Janice’s lawyer rating. Janice was recently selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019 in the fields of Family Law and Trusts and Estates.
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1983; cum laude)
- Harvard University (M.A., 1968)
- Wittenberg University (B.A., 1967; cum laude)
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Janice was named among 24 other attorneys and judges as 2012 Women in the Law by the Wisconsin Law Journal. Honorees were selected for tackling difficult cases, balancing their work and family, volunteering their time to mentor others and furthering the role women play in our legal community.
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (since 2008).
- She was also selected by peers as a Wisconsin Super Lawyer for her estate planning & probate work (since 2008).
Janice has frequently spoken to community groups and at continuing legal education seminars on the topics of estate planning and probate. Janice is currently serving as an adjunct professor of Estate Planning at the University of Wisconsin Law School, where she has also frequently served as a faculty member for the probate and estate planning section of the Lawyering Skills Program.
Professional Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association (Real Property, Probate and Trust and Family Law Sections)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Real Property, Probate and Trust and Family Law Sections)
- Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin, Inc.
- Dane County Family Law Attorneys Group
- Divorce Cooperation Institute
- Dane County Bar Association, former officer and director
- Madison Estate Council, former director
- Wisconsin Planned Giving Council, former president and director