Stafford Rosenbaum encourages its attorneys and staff to be leaders in their communities. Many of the ways in which our attorneys and staff serve their communities are listed on the individual profile pages for each attorney or staff member.
Recent Pro Bono Accomplishments
- Stafford Rosenbaum attorneys assisted victims of the 2005 Stoughton tornado on a pro bono basis obtaining insurance coverage for their property damage.
- The firm represented Common Cause of Wisconsin, the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, and the League of Women Voters of Dane County in their efforts to defend against federal court challenges to the constitutionality of the Impartial Justice Act, which established the state's system for public financing of the elections of supreme court justices.
- Brian Butler, Bruce Huibregtse, Daphne Webb and other Stafford Rosenbaum attorneys regularly serve as volunteer mediators for the Dane County Circuit Court.
- Daphne Webb and Janice Bensky regularly volunteer at the Dane County Family Law Assistance Center, and represent pro bono clients in various family law matters.
- Richard Yde has provided pro bono services to the Madison Symphony Orchestra as its general counsel since 2012.
- In 2002, Stafford Rosenbaum received the Dane County Bar Association’s Annual Pro Bono Award for a law firm.
- At the request of the State Bar, the firm represented a reservist serving in Iraq whose house was being foreclosed upon in violation of the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.
- For many years, attorneys and paralegals at Stafford Rosenbaum have volunteered their time to provide legal services and community support information to low income families through the Volunteer Lawyers Project of the Dane County Bar and Legal Action of Wisconsin.
- Jared Potter has volunteered in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program offered by the Internal Revenue Service to provide free tax help to low and moderate income people who cannot prepare their own state and federal tax returns.
- Susan Allen regularly volunteers at the Milwaukee Justice Center Brief Legal Advice Clinic, which assists pro se individuals with the legal process in family law and other matters.
- Since 1995, Paul Schwartzenbart has been actively involved with mediations for the Dane County Bar Association. His mediations primarily focus on business and commercial disputes.
- Kyle Engelke provides pro bono legal advice to the Cooksville Historic Trust.
- Anne Schacherl provides estate planning information to area seniors through the free “Ready, Set, Retirement!” workshops at Madison College and assists in the preparation of no-cost Wills and Powers of Attorney through the “Dane County Basic Estate Planning Clinic for Seniors and Veterans.”
- For over 20 years, our attorneys have regularly volunteered to staff the Lawyer Hotline Program organized by the State Bar of Wisconsin’s Lawyer Referral and Information Service. The firm has received the program's Law Firm of the Year Award for its participation.
Casual for a Cause
The firm holds a monthly Casual for a Cause day that allows attorneys and staff to dress casually for the day in exchange for a monetary donation. Casual for a Cause days have supported a number of charitable organizations including:
- American Heart Association
- American Red Cross Badger Chapter
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Dane County Humane Society
- Disabled American Veterans
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation of Western Wisconsin
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure
- Madison Area Crime Stoppers
- March of Dimes
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund
- National Parkinson Foundation, Inc.
- Natural Resources Foundation of Wisconsin
- Salvation Army of Dane County
- Second Harvest Foodbank of Southern Wisconsin
- University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center