Laura’s practice includes creditors' rights in bankruptcy, litigation, and estate planning and probate. Laura regularly represents creditors in all aspects of bankruptcy, such as lift of stay litigation, preferences, fraudulent conveyances, post petition financing and plan negotiation, and plan confirmation. In addition, she routinely represents banks and insurance companies in foreclosures. Her litigation practice includes lemon law and breach of warranty, collection, subrogation and insurance litigation. She also handles a broad range of estate planning and probate matters. As a result of her litigation and estate planning experience, she also handles a wide variety of contested probate matters. Her experience includes:
- Represents secured lenders in bankruptcy and foreclosure matters.
- Successfully defending on a routine basis vehicle manufacturers against lemon law and breach of warranty claims.
- Routinely interpreting and applying the provisions of a wide variety of insurance policies.
- Successfully obtaining judgments on a regular basis against delinquent consumers on behalf of a large utility company.
- Successful pursuit of subrogation claims on behalf of medical coverage providers.
- Successful defense in federal district courts and on appeal of insurer in disability, life and health claims under ERISA.
- Litigation experience in all Wisconsin courts and federal district courts across a broad spectrum of substantive law.
- Broad range of estate planning from simple wills and powers of attorney to complex trusts.
- Probate practice includes small, summary proceedings as well as large, complex estates and contested proceedings.
Laura is admitted to practice in Wisconsin.
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1997)
- University of Wisconsin (B.S., 1992)
Professional Recognitions and Awards
- Named Best Lawyers' 2013 Madison Litigation - Trusts & Estates "Lawyer of the Year."
- Selected by peers as a Wisconsin Rising Star for her work in estate planning & probate (2006, 2010) and business litigation (2007, 2008).
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (since 2012).
- “Motor Vehicles Lessees are not entitled to the protections of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act,” DealersEdge CFO & Controller Report (April 2003).
- Adjunct Professor, estate planning, University of Wisconsin Law School
Professional Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin:
- Lawyer Referral and Information Service Committee, Member
- Judicial Election Steering Committee
- Executive Committee
- Policy Committee, Vice-Chair
- Board of Governors, Member
- Dane County Bar Association
- DRI—The Voice of the Defense Bar, since 2010
- Madison Estate Council
- Forum for Women Estate Counselors
- The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation, member
Laura and her family at Fort Mackinac, Mackinac Island, Michigan.
Laura is married to Timothy Verhoff, a criminal defense lawyer in private practice. They have two sons and one daughter.
Laura loves to read and to participate in any artistic project—home redecorating, crafts for the kids, beading, anything that allows her to create. She also enjoys watching her children participate in numerous activities, including baseball, softball, tennis, swimming, lacrosse, soccer, dance and guitar.
- Favorite food: Penne ala Vodka from Café La Bellitalia on Madison’s Northeast side
- Favorite artist: My kids
- Last place visited: Wisconsin Dells
- Favorite getaway: The beach, any beach
- Would like to visit: Asia
- Last book read: Someone Knows My Name, by Lawrence Hill
- The Arc-Dane County, Community Support Award (2010)
- Village of Maple Bluff, Ordinance Committee