On the Job
Attorney Michael J. Allen is a partner in Stafford Rosenbaum’s Madison office with a practice that serves energy, environmental, business, and real estate clients. Michael is one of only a handful of attorneys in the United States who has a quarter century’s experience in renewable energy transactions. He has represented clients in many of Wisconsin’s largest solar, wind and energy storage projects. He has worked on renewable energy transactions and issues in other states, too, including Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York and Oregon.
Michael also regularly represents clients in large-scale energy efficiency projects. His work includes serving as counsel to:
- Two four-year colleges doing campus wide efficiency upgrades
- An energy efficiency services provider that implemented energy-efficient solutions for public school districts across Wisconsin through energy performance contracts
- A large non-profit organization that manages energy efficiency programs for utilities and governmental organizations in many states
- An investor-owned utility that developed an efficient cogeneration plant through a public-private partnership.
One of Michael’s most fulfilling moments in energy efficiency work was helping a truck driver—with an innovative idea and prototype for a system that saved energy and reduced pollution in long haul trucks—to build a company to manufacture and sell his invention. The system is now installed on many Mack, Volvo and other semi-trailer trucks across the United States. Michael’s work included not only contract and business law services, but also helping the client in raising venture capital and hiring the company president who guided the company on its successful voyage from a startup to a leading manufacturer in the industry.
Michael also has considerable experience in real estate transactions. He has served as counsel to clients in real estate and loan deals to build, lease or sell a public library; a city hall building; a Ritz-Carlton hotel and associated luxury shopping development; a printing plant for a national magazine; and office buildings, condominiums, and other commercial and residential real estate transactions.
Michael has served as outside general counsel for many small businesses, as well. They rely on him to evaluate and resolve or delegate to the proper person their most pressing legal issues. His varied experience of running his own business, serving as a city attorney, being an angel investor, serving on many nonprofit boards of directors and serving as the president of the local chamber of commerce enables him to put himself in clients’ shoes and act as an effective and efficient problem solver.
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- American Bar Association
- RENEW Wisconsin (former Board member)
- Midwest Renewable Energy Association (former Board member)
- Smart Electric Power Alliance (member, Electric Vehicles Committee)
- Sun Prairie Chamber of Commerce (former President and Board Member)