For 30 years, Dan has focused his practice primarily on creditors' rights, bankruptcy, financial transactions, business and real estate law.
Creditors’ Rights and Bankruptcy
Dan regularly represents creditors in all aspects of bankruptcy, such as lift of stay litigation, preferences, fraudulent conveyances, post petition financing and plan negotiation, and plan confirmation. In addition he routinely represents banks and insurance companies in foreclosures and workouts. His experience in these areas includes:
- Represented an insurance company in one of the largest insurance rehabilitations in Wisconsin history.
- Represented the Creditors Committee in a Chapter 11 case of a manufacturing company with total assets of $60,000,000 and yearly revenues of $190,000,000, including the successful negotiation of a 100% payout plan for the creditors.
- Represented secured lender who had a mortgage on an office building in Madison, in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, concerning all aspects of the case which was eventually confirmed. The case involved trials on numerous issues including adequate protection payments and amount of equity in the property as well as numerous appeals both in federal court and in state court.
Dan has extensive experience representing both lenders and borrowers in multi-million dollar financial transactions including commercial loans, workouts, foreclosures and bankruptcies involving manufacturing, office buildings, apartment buildings, farms, and hotels. This experience includes:
- Represented a lender in a $17,000,000 loan to a single purpose entity to finance a shopping center, which included drafting all loan documents and handling all real estate matters concerning title insurance and survey issues.
- Represented a borrower in negotiating a $7,000,000 loan to finance the construction of a hotel.
- Drafting all documents for a $6,000,000 commercial loan, secured by real estate and negative pledges, made by a pension fund to a retailer.
Business Law and Real Estate
- Dan's experience in the areas of business law and real estate includes:
- Routinely advising large and small businesses and individuals on matters involving corporations, partnerships, LLC's, and other legal entities.
- Providing effective representation in a wide range of commercial transactions including sales and acquisitions of businesses and real estate.
- Advising businesses on dealing with Uniform Commercial Code issues.
Dan is admitted to practice law in Wisconsin. Click here for Dan's lawyer rating. Dan was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015 in the fields of Banking and Finance Law, Bankruptcy and creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, and Litigation – Bankruptcy.
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1976; cum laude; Order of the Coif)
- University of Wisconsin (B.A., 1973; cum laude)
- University of Wisconsin (B.S., 1972; cum laude)
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Dan has been selected by his peers as a Wisconsin Super Lawyer, an honor only 5% of Wisconsin lawyers receive (2005, 2006 and 2007).
- Dan has also been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (since 2007), a book published by Woodward/White, Inc., based on a national survey of lawyers.
- Co-author of Chapter 2, Civil Procedure Before Trial, State Bar of Wisconsin, 1996
- Lecturer, "Commercial Real Estate Purchase and Sale Transactions," 2001 (Lorman Education Services)
- Lecturer, "Wisconsin Foreclosure and Related Bankruptcy and Title Issues," April 2001 (National Business Institute)
- Lecturer, "The Automatic Stay and Multi-party Litigation," 1997 (Western District of Wisconsin Bar Association)
- Lecturer, "Wisconsin Foreclosure and Repossession," 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1995, 1993, 1992, 1991 and 1989 (National Business Institute)
- Lecturer, "How to Protect Secured Interests in Bankruptcy in Wisconsin," 1994 (National Business Institute)
- Lecturer, "Litigation Issues and Adversary Proceedings in Bankruptcy," 1992 (State Bar of Wisconsin)
- Lecturer, "Problem Loans in Wisconsin," 1989 (National Business Institute)
- Lecturer, "Business Organizations", University of Wisconsin Law School, Fall Semester, 1981
- Lecturer, "Regulation of Financial Institutions," University of Wisconsin Law School, Fall Semester, 1991
- Assistant Professor, University of Wisconsin—Green Bay, 1977-1981
Professional Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Board of Governors (1992-1996)
- Dane County Bar Association
- Western District of Wisconsin Bankruptcy Bar Association
- St. Bernard’s Parish Council, Past President
- Blackhawk Country Club, Past President
- Stonefield Homeowners Association, Past President
Dan was born and raised in Madison, Wisconsin the son of a lawyer and a professor. He is married to Barbara A. Neider, also a partner at Stafford Rosenbaum, who Dan describes as the smartest person he knows. Barb and Dan have 3 adult children, all happy and well adjusted, which Dan considers his greatest accomplishment.
Dan enjoys meeting with clients on the golf course. He has played with clients at two US Open courses: Pebble Beach and Torrey Pines. He is anxiously awaiting his invitation to play at Augusta National, and would be thrilled to get his fourth hole in one.
Dan and Barb are active members of St. Bernard Catholic Church in Middleton.