Bryan’s practice focuses on municipal law, utility law, and labor and employment law. Bryan has handled numerous proceedings before trial courts, appellate courts, and administrative agencies. His experience includes:
Bryan serves as general counsel for a number of local governments, and assists cities, villages, towns, and counties with a wide range of legal matters, including:
- Advising local governments on land use and development matters, including zoning, land divisions, public construction, and moratoria.
- Drafting and reviewing ordinances, contracts, easements, and other documents for local governments.
- Negotiating development agreements and other agreements on behalf of municipal clients.
- Advising local governments on issues pertaining to the Wisconsin Open Meetings and Public Records laws.
- Assisting local governments with property acquisition and eminent domain.
Bryan has appeared before the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin in utility law matters involving both public and municipal utilities.
Labor and Employment Law
Bryan has appeared before Wisconsin Employment Relations Commission arbitrators and examiners and other independent arbitrators and administrative law judges in a number of labor/employment matters, including grievances, prohibited practice claims, and discrimination matters. Bryan has negotiated labor agreements on behalf of municipal clients and has advised public and private employers on a number of labor/employment matters, including contract interpretation, hiring and disciplinary decisions, and wage and hour laws.
Bryan is admitted to practice law in Wisconsin. Bryan was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015 in the field of Municipal Law.
University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 2000; cum laude)
University of Wisconsin-Madison (B.A., 1993)
Professional Recognition and Awards
Selected by peers as a Wisconsin Rising Star for his work in government/cities/municipalities law (2006, 2008, 2009).
Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for Municipal Law.
Co-author, municipal law chapter, State Bar of Wisconsin’s Annual Survey of Wisconsin Law (2005-present)
Bryan has made presentations at a number of municipal and labor/employment seminars, including presenting on land use issues, Wisconsin Open Meetings Law, Wisconsin Public Records Law, federal and state disability discrimination laws, and federal and state wage and hour laws.
Professional Memberships and Activities
American Bar Association
State Bar of Wisconsin
Dane County Bar Association
Bryan is a native of Madison. In his spare time, he likes to play basketball and baseball, go to UW football and basketball games, hang out at the Union Terrace, and spend time with his wife and kids.
- Favorite food: A good steak
- Favorite music: U2, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Black Crowes
- Last place visited: Chicago
- Favorite getaway: Anywhere with my wife and kids
- Favorite book: To Kill a Mockingbird
- Favorite movie: Usual Suspects
- Would like to visit: Maui, Hawaii (again)
- Go Red for Women - Leadership Committee