Dan’s practice is focused primarily on environmental law, regulation of public utilities, and administrative law. He has represented a wide range of individual, corporate and public-sector clients before state and federal agencies, in business transactions and in civil litigation. His experience includes:
- Counseling clients—from Fortune 500 corporations to individual homeowners—on environmental compliance and permitting.
- Representing defendants in enforcement actions brought by state and federal agencies.
- Representation of an electric and natural gas utility in rate cases, construction cases, and other matters before the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin.
- Work on the successful defense, both at the agency level and on judicial review, of environmental permits for a $2.2 billion coal-fired power plant.
- Successful defense of state building code variances for two multi-million dollar power plant construction projects, which were challenged by local officials.
- Supervising environmental due diligence, and advising buyers and sellers on potential environmental liabilities associated with real estate transactions, mergers and acquisitions.
Dan’s background is in biology and environmental science, and before practicing law, he was involved in research on the fate, transport and degradation of pesticides in soil and groundwater. During law school, Dan was a judicial intern for the Honorable Shirley S. Abrahamson, Wisconsin Supreme Court, and interned in the Public Intervenor’s Office of the Wisconsin Department of Justice.
Dan is admitted to practice in Wisconsin. Click here for Dan's lawyer rating.
University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1996, cum laude; editor, Wisconsin Environmental Law Journal)
Lawrence University (B.A., 1985)
Professional Recognition and Awards
Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the specialties of Environmental Law and Energy Law (since 2011).
Dan has spoken on a variety of environmental topics for clients and professional groups. Recent presentation topics include: Environmental Due Diligence for Real Estate Development; Municipal Liability for Contaminated Properties; and Wisconsin Groundwater Law.
Professional Memberships and Activities
American Bar Association (Member, Section on Public Utility, Communications and Transportation Law; Section on Environment, Energy and Resources)
State Bar of Wisconsin (Energy and Telecommunications Section, Board of Directors, 2009-present; Environmental Section, Member, 1996 – present; Legal Assistance Committee, Member, 2002-08; Chair, 2004-05)
Dane County Bar Association
Special Committee on Navigable Waters Recodification, Wisconsin Legislative Council, 2000-01, Public Member
Dan grew up near Chicago, but moved to Wisconsin in the early 1980’s to go to college, and never left. He currently lives in Middleton, with his wife, Anne, an elementary school art teacher, his two children, two dogs, and a cat. In his spare time, Dan enjoys spending time with his family, cooking, bicycling, and exploring Wisconsin’s state parks and natural areas.
Favorite food: “I can only pick one?”
Favorite beverages: Local (and not-so-local) craft beers
Favorite artists: Oskar Kokoshka; Alberto Giacometti; Jennifer Cavan
Favorite music: All kinds of music, from classical to jazz, to rock & roll; live shows in local clubs
Favorite getaway: A quiet place on the shore of Lake Michigan, in Door County
Little-known fact: One of my first jobs after college was “road manager” for a touring theatre company.
Favorite travels: Russia and Eastern Europe; Ireland
Hope to visit soon: The Pacific Northwest; Hawaii; and Japan
Guilty pleasures: Watching “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives” on the Food Network
Lawrence University, Reunion Gift Committee (2008 – 2009)
Friends of Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Board of Directors (2003 – 2005); Advisory Board (2005 – present)
Madison Homebrewers and Tasters Guild, Member (2008 – present)
Covenant Presbyterian Church, Session (2002 – 2005); Personnel Committee (2006 – Present)
Sixteenth Street Community Health Center, Milwaukee, WI, Professional Advisory Committee (1998 – 2000)