Bruce has litigated claims in state and federal courts for over 30 years, handling a broad range of complex civil litigation matters including torts, professional liability, product liability, insurance, business disputes, and environmental matters. His experience includes:
- Successful negotiation and defense on behalf of businesses of environmental-related claims in numerous proceedings before local municipalities, the Wisconsin Departments of Natural Resources and Justice, and the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- Frequently serving as a mediator of business and personal injury cases at the request of parties to a dispute.
- Mediation and arbitration of matters on behalf of businesses, individuals, companies and other attorneys, both on a volunteer and professional basis.
- Effective counsel of businesses on how to avoid litigation and minimize liability if litigation should arise for matters relating to personal injury, work place and employment, professional liability, premises liability, OSHA and environmental claims.
- Frequently acting as a third and independent arbitrator in auto policy uninsured and underinsured motorists’ cases.
Bruce is admitted to practice in Wisconsin. Click here for Bruce's lawyer rating. Bruce was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015 in the fields of Insurance Law and Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants.
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1979; cum laude; First Recipient of Dean's Outstanding Academic Achievement Award)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (B.B.A., 1976; graduated with honors; Beta Gamma Sigma)
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Selected as a Top Rated Lawyer in Insurance Law by Martindale-Hubbell (2013)
- Named a 2013 Leader in the Law by Wisconsin Law Journal. Bruce was among 26 attorneys and judges selected for demonstrating outstanding leadership, vision and legal expertise in Wisconsin's law community.
- Named a 2011 BTI Client Service All-Star.
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (since 2007).
- Selected by peers as a Wisconsin Super Lawyer for his work in personal injury defense (since 2006).
Professional Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association (Litigation; Tort Trial & Insurance Practice; and Dispute Resolution)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Litigation; Alternative Dispute Resolution)
- Dane County Bar Association
- Dane County Mediation Program, Volunteer (for over 15 years)
Bruce kayaking in Minnesota.
Bruce is married to Diana Huibregtse, the Assistant Director of Admissions at University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics. They have three daughters and celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary this year. Their oldest daughter is married and teaching at an elementary school in Cambridge. Her husband is a graduate student at Harvard Business School. The second daughter is a graduate student at the University of Colorado-Boulder. The youngest daughter is a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Bruce enjoys all sports, even World Cup soccer. He particularly likes to work out, golf and ride his road bike. Recent travels include Costa Rica and Maui, and future travel will include anywhere his favorite food – fresh grouper – can be consumed. Geography and American history, as well as books regarding the same, are of particular interest.
Bruce is active in Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Dane County and as a Sunday School teacher at Divine Savior United Methodist Church in Madison. He has been a Big to three Littles since 1979. Bruce and Di are currently a Big Couple to their Little Brother, James.
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Dane County, Board of Directors and Past President
- Divine Savior United Methodist Church